Wednesday, 8 April 2009

The packing!

We've a big trip coming up this year, hubbie and I. Our first time to South East Asia. We travel quite a bit but this will the first trip in our 15 years of marriage that's anywhere near as long as this and on the move!

We're just finalising our 34 day itinerary to Laos and Vietnam with our travel agent and the thing I'm most worried about is what am I going to pack? and we don't leave for 8 months! I'm not the greatest of packers at the best of times. We've decided against rucksacks and going for something soft with wheels. At least I'll be able to lay things flat. Layering, my sister has advised is the way to go, but with travelling into the hills in the North of Vietnam down to the steamy Mekong Delta in the south I think I'll need a lot more than just layers.

Then there's the bits. Every bit of technology that we think we can't live without has a different charger. I know, there are special bits of kit that are supposed to reduce the number you need but I tried that with my mobile phone on my last holiday and ended up with no phone for half the trip. And yes, I know too that they sell chargers overseas but not always where you happen to be.

The Washbag. The biggest and bulkiest item in the luggage. Always goes in last and always calls for a complete repack. Especially now you can't take most of it in handluggage. And on this trip there'll need to be the medicine cabinet as well. 'll just have to keep reminding myself that there are shops in Vietnam and therefore I don't have to take enough toothpaste and shampoo for 5 weeks and keep the make-up to lippy and mascara.

I've bought loads of guide books already. Not sure why I've done this at all. There's certainly not going to be any room for them in the luggage and there's no packing advice in any of them.

Blogging - Well I'm new to this as you can see but I'd love to blog on our trip, even if it's only us reading it when we get back. I've read there's an App that will let me blog from my iPhone. Thank goodness I've still loads of time to learn how you do that. And with all the space the iphone will save instead of taking a laptop my packing worries are.....well, lessened.

No comments: